Trilobite Diademaproetus praecursor
Item number: Tri023
- Fossil: Trilobite, Diademaproetus praecursor (ALBERTI 1969)
- Locality: Timrhanrhart Formation, Lower Devonian, Emsian, about 395 Million years old
- Locality: Jbel Gara el Zquilma, Morocco
- Size: about 3 cm long (Matrix: 6,5 x 5 cm)
- signed certificate of authenticity included
Price: 460€ (incl. 19%VAT) plus Shipping
- To order: send an E-Mail with item number, your name and address (shipping address) to: email@example.com
Description: This trilobite is a very beautiful and very well preserved proetid from the world famous locality of Jbel Gara el Zguilma, Morocco. The species Diademaproetus praecursor has a very characteristic tongue-like protrusion, which serves as a striking identification feature. The trilobite was prepared in about 9 hours of painstaking detail work from the limestone and presents itself harmoniously on a natural matrix. Trilobites from this site are not easy to prepare because the shell can be very delicate. Without the necessary care, unsightly preparation marks and abraded shells are inevitable. For this reason, most of the trilobites offered for sale from this locality are more or less badly damaged. This piece was glued together from three parts at the beginning of the preparation (see photos of the state of the find). Afterwards, a detailed and gentle exposure under the microscope was carried out with the help of airscribes and fine blasting equipment. Apart from filling minor shell losses along the fracture line (see photo), no further restorations or reconstructions were carried out. Particularly noteworthy is the excellent detail preservation of the shell, especially the fine tuberculation and the excellent preservation of the eyes.
As with all my fossils, this specimen is accompanied by a signed certificate of authenticity.
The Locality: Jbel Gara el Zquilma has been an extremely well-known and thus classic site for the Devonian of Morocco for decades. The often excellent preservation of the trilobites with deep dark shells on light brown rock inspires trilobite collectors worldwide. Besides proetids such as Gerastos or Diademaproetus, phacopids such as Austerops or Morocops and the highly sought-after genera Koneprusia, Walliserops and Psychopyge are also found there (to name just a small selection).
- CHATTERTON, B., et al. (2006): Trilobites from the upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara el Zguilma, southern Morocco, in: Paleontographica Canadiana 25, S. 1-177. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232195655_Trilobites_from_the_upper_Lower_to_Middle_Devonian_Timrhanrhart_Formation_Jbel_Gara_el_Zguilma_southern_Morocco