Trilobite Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis
Item number: Tri021
- Fossil: Trilobite, Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis (CHATTERTON et al. 2006)
- Formation: Timrhanrhart Formation, Lower Devonian, Emsian, about 395 Million years old
- Locality: Jbel Gara el Zquilma, Morocco
- Size: about 2 cm long (Matrix: 4,5 x 5,5 cm)
- Signed certificate of authenticity included
Price: 200€ (incl. 19%VAT) plus Shipping
- to order: send an E-Mail with item number, your name and address (shipping address) to: email@example.com
Description: This trilobite is a very beautiful and very well preserved proetid from the world famous locality of Jbel Gara el Zguilma, Morocco. The species Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis can perhaps be called the classic par excellence. The trilobite was prepared in about 5 hours of painstaking detail work from the limestone and presents itself harmoniously on a natural matrix. Trilobites from this site are not easy to prepare, because the shell can be very delicate. Without the necessary care, unsightly preparation marks and abraded shells are inevitable. For this reason, most of the trilobites offered for sale from this site are more or less badly damaged.This piece was glued together from two parts at the beginning of the preparation (see photos of the state of discovery). Afterwards, a detailed and gentle uncovering was carried out under the microscope with the help of airscribes and fine blasting equipment. No restorations or reconstructions were carried out. The excellent preservation of the details of the shell, especially the fine tuberculations, is particularly noteworthy.
As with all my fossils, this specimen comes with a signed certificate of authenticity.
The Locality: Jbel Gara el Zquilma has been an extremely well-known and thus classic site for the Devonian of Morocco for decades. The often excellent preservation of the trilobites with deep dark shells on light brown rock inspires trilobite collectors worldwide. Besides proetids such as Gerastos or Diademaproetus, phacopids such as Austerops or Morocops and the highly sought-after genera Koneprusia, Walliserops and Psychopyge are also found there (to name just a small selection).
- CHATTERTON, B., et al. (2006): Trilobites from the upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara el Zguilma, southern Morocco, in: Paleontographica Canadiana 25, S. 1-177. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232195655_Trilobites_from_the_upper_Lower_to_Middle_Devonian_Timrhanrhart_Formation_Jbel_Gara_el_Zguilma_southern_Morocco